Air compressor maintenance can be divided into two types: Minor Preventative Maintenance, which should be scheduled two to three times per year, and Major Preventative Maintenance, which should be scheduled every one to two years based on the number of hours the compressor runs and the level of ambient dirtiness. The following air compressor maintenance tasks should be performed:
- Change the air filter every 2,000 hours to capture particulate matter like pollen, dust, dirt, and other contaminants, and allow the filtered air to travel into the inlet on the air-end for pressurization.
- Change the oil filter to capture dirt and grime that can be reused in the system after oil passes through the air-end and separator. The oil needs to be cleaned before it can be recycled through the unit.
- Take an oil sample for analysis to identify external or internal contamination that could impact lubrication or cause component malfunction.
- Evaluate the dryer to ensure proper operation.
- Clean the cooler to prevent rising oil and air temperatures that can cause shutdowns, water carryover, and damage downstream.
- Inspect and tighten electrical connections to prevent wire-related issues due to constant vibration.
- Inspect drains and inline filters to verify proper flow and moisture management.
- Clean the condenser (if applicable) to allow proper air cooling.
- Change the cabinet mat (if applicable) to prevent overheating and restricted airflow.
- Check controls for maintenance reminders and error alerts.
- Change the oil/coolant based on the unit’s warranty or the recommendations of the service provider.
- Change the air/oil separator to prevent oil carryover and pressure drop or potential collapse.
- Grease the motor at regular intervals as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Test safety valves to ensure proper operation and avoid over-pressurization of lines or storage tanks.
- Examine hoses and piping regularly to avoid any productivity loss due to cracked lines.
Additionally, the technician will inspect the system and provide a service recommendation to the service staff if any issues are found.